This week as I was trying to help my daughter review
decimals, being that she struggled with that last unit. Her class is currently working on fractions, which
are closely related to decimals. I
printed some worksheets from www.commoncoresheets.com
. Finding the decimal on the number line
worksheet was where we started. It is technically
a fourth grade standard, 4nf6. It however was a struggle for her, even after
determining that the half fraction was equivalent to 0.5. I was completely stumped by her confused by
her struggle. We again reviewed the concept
and one of the things that I found to be helpful this time is splitting the half
portions of the number line into quarters.
Remembering that her class is currently working on fraction, I found it to be a good way to reinforce
current content and review previous material. I used these visuals to help her. I hope someone else can find this helpful.Wednesday, January 30, 2019
Decimal Review and Fraction Reinforcement
This week as I was trying to help my daughter review
decimals, being that she struggled with that last unit. Her class is currently working on fractions, which
are closely related to decimals. I
printed some worksheets from www.commoncoresheets.com
. Finding the decimal on the number line
worksheet was where we started. It is technically
a fourth grade standard, 4nf6. It however was a struggle for her, even after
determining that the half fraction was equivalent to 0.5. I was completely stumped by her confused by
her struggle. We again reviewed the concept
and one of the things that I found to be helpful this time is splitting the half
portions of the number line into quarters.
Remembering that her class is currently working on fraction, I found it to be a good way to reinforce
current content and review previous material. I used these visuals to help her. I hope someone else can find this helpful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Courtney, I posted about fractions this week too. I like your post and how you show a visual for fractions, percentage, and decimal. These would be great reference sheets to laminate and give each student one to keep in their math binder.
ReplyDeleteI spoke about fractions and decimals this week as well. I also found this website to be helpful! I really liked your graphic as well for benchmark fractions. I printed It out so that I could use it as a resource for the future.
ReplyDeleteHi Courntey. This is a great post about fractions and decimals. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteHi Courtney,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really helpful post for teaching the relationship between fractions and decimals while also showing the relationship between fractions and other fractions. I think that visual with all the fractions lined up is a super helpful resource for students to reference. It also shows students how fractions are all equal to 1 which is a concept that can be confusing. I also loved that you included a website for printable worksheets. Thats a great resource for students, parents, and teachers.
Great post and I look forward to reading more!
-Freddie