Last
week as I was looking for ideas for my door , when I came across this website this cute Valentine's Day Caterpillar. My . This website
had a Valentine’s Day theme craft, a heart caterpillar. My class has currently
been working on sequencing.This idea
would have been extremely appropriate had we not just completed the bulletin
board already.The caterpillar concept
is great because is because it can be
used interdisciplinary and for a variety of grades.It could be as simple as students just cutting
the shapes of hearts or as complex as creating a particular pattern or
sequence.If it is used to create a
sequence, then this is a great way to
incorporate different content.If
students were to sequence a story they were reading, they could draw or write the various event within
the story arc.This really is a base
idea that can be scaled to any level depending on the population and abilities of
your students.I just thought it was
really adorable and functional, so I wanted to share. In case anyone wanted to give it a try, directions can be found on www.craftymornings.com. And for those who have a curiosity bug, here are some
pictures of my bulletin board, door, and wall display.
What a cool idea! I think the idea of tying topics into the seasonal classroom decorations is wonderful. Students will look at the decorations as they come in the door and might be reminded of what a sequence looks like. I also like that assembling the caterpillars to create a sequence is something students could do. This hands on element can help reinforce the topic. Another observation I have is that when you do these types of projects in class you are also helping the students practice their fine motor skills- cutting, drawing and pasting all are skills that help the child develop. Nice Post Courtney!
What a cool idea! I think the idea of tying topics into the seasonal classroom decorations is wonderful. Students will look at the decorations as they come in the door and might be reminded of what a sequence looks like. I also like that assembling the caterpillars to create a sequence is something students could do. This hands on element can help reinforce the topic. Another observation I have is that when you do these types of projects in class you are also helping the students practice their fine motor skills- cutting, drawing and pasting all are skills that help the child develop. Nice Post Courtney!
ReplyDeleteSorry Courtney- this is Sophia, I'm not quite sure why my name isn't showing up.
DeleteThanks Sophia! As usual, you are insightful and kind.
Delete